The Janitor F.A.Q

Let’s write a F.A.Q. for newcomers!

(Note: I previously started Solutions to Common Issues, but that’s now deprecated because it only contained c9.io issues and we’ve since switched to our internal Cloud9 IDE).

Q: Why can’t I sign in with GitHub?

A: It’s not implemented yet, but it’s Coming Soon™!

Meanwhile, please use the email login feature instead.

Q: Why didn’t I receive the email with the sign-in link?

A: It’s probably in your spam folder. Sorry about that!

Q: What does “Built 1 day ago” mean?

A: It means that your container is based on a Docker image that was built 1 day ago.

If your container is based on a very old image, please consider deleting it and creating a new one, to benefit from the latest features, software updates and bug fixes.

Q: How do I copy/paste into the VNC Terminal?

A: On the left panel, there is a Clipboard tool. Once your content is in there, please use Shift+Insert to paste it into noVNC.

Q: I enabled the GitHub integration, why was my .gitconfig not updated?

A: You need to use the “Reset to Default” feature on your .gitconfig file from the Configurations page.

We don’t do that automatically, because some users customize their .gitconfig heavily, and we wouldn’t want to overwrite their valuable changes!

Q: Why is Janitor written in Node.js?

A: (from an IRC discussion on 2017-12-04)

17:33:31 notriddle> Albeit, I should confess: I detest Node’s concurrency model, and if I had my way, Janitor would be written in something like Go or Erlang that has actual green threads.
17:34:14 notriddle> And I think that having such a system would help Janitor’s “do more things asynchronously” needs.
17:36:01 — notriddle has already had enough Internet Arguments to last several lifetimes, though, so is just going to let this one drop.
17:50:07 @janx> notriddle++
17:50:21 notriddle> janx++
17:57:37 @janx> notriddle: then I confess that I started implementing Janitor in Node.js because 1) I’m comfortable writing JS code (which is not the case for Go, Erlang, Python, C++, Rust, and all the other amazing things out there); 2) I already had an efficient async-oriented and templated web server at hand (camp, which we wrote with my friend espadrine) + a few other components I could easily re-use; and 3) I’m still convinced that NodeJS is way faster than what we need for Janitor (e.g. camp, the same web server we use for Janitor, powers the vast majority of GitHub README badges via shields.io which is run by espadrine on just two €3/month OVH VPS servers)